I need some help here
Someone posted this stupid article in a group that I'm in. Can you ladies come up with some points as to why it's total BS?
Leave a comment...
- 5 Comments
- well, there have been 3 trials. they were all halted early. The Lancet refused to publish the first one for ethical reasons, but it was finally published by a cheesy online medical journal. The other two trials have not been published at all, and so have had no peer review. The study authors themselves seem to be writing most of their own press articles. Frankly, I can't understand how the media can trumpet this as truth without peer reviews of the studies, but they are, and it is causing a lot of damage.
The other truth is simply that HIV is transmitted differently in Africa than in the US. Most of our adult population is circ'd, including those infected with HIV.
We would all like to know whether lifestyle, religious beliefs and presence of other STDs played into the AFrican studies...but unfortunately, we just don't have that info - and the media doesn't care a bit that they don't have that info either.#1; Mon, 10 Dec 2007 22:11:00 GMT
- Also, I've heard about mothers in Africa using glass and stuff to circumcise their sons out of fear because of these studies. Anyone have anything to back that up, is it really true?#2; Mon, 10 Dec 2007 22:12:00 GMT
- The threat of a rise in bush circumcisions and deaths from infections is certainly possible.
Truly, this is just another excuse to mutilate boys. Circumcision will not prevent AIDS and there will still be millions of deaths from AIDS. Uninact men do get AIDS in fact, in large numbers. This could actually give men a false sense of security thinking they can continue their behaviours. Furthermore condoms are more effective and safer than circumcision. No chance of infections and children dying. I think to promote mutilating the genitals of children, a crime in itself, and taking attention away from the humane and better solutions, condoms, abstinance, education, HIV testing, even masturbation as a safe alternative to sex, its criminal. Why arent we seeing bold headlines about condoms being 80% effective at stopping HIV and efforts to get condoms into the hands of every african? Why dont see more efforts to educate these people who simply dont have the right information? I read an article where many africans still dont think they can get HIV from sex! Clearly, with these types of attitudes, you are going to have rapid HIV propogation and that will continue unless we educate these people. Educate, condoms, HIV testing, masturbation, not genital mutilation is the best solution.#3; Mon, 10 Dec 2007 22:13:00 GMT
- Just tell them that the United States has a higher circumcision rate than the European countries and a higher HIV infection rate. The universal circumcision experiment has been tried before and has failed. Most of the U.S. men who have died from HIV were circumcised. If they want their kids to avoid HIV, they need to teach them self respect and make sure they know about condoms.#4; Mon, 10 Dec 2007 22:14:00 GMT
- How about stating it's a fact that some mass circumcisions are done in haste using the same blade without washing it afterwards (using disposable blades more than once w/out washing, using scalpels w/out washing between circumcisions)? It's no lie. It's FACT. It's unsanitary conditions that actually help SPREAD disease around. I search the term "circumcision" on Google News and read of that, as well as deaths at mass circumcisions.#5; Mon, 10 Dec 2007 22:15:00 GMT